Saturday, January 24, 2009

Teacher Appreciation

I know it is true that we appreciate our parents more when we become parents, but it can also be said that those of us who are teachers appreciate our teachers more, the longer we teach. (One a side note, I probably punctuated that sentence incorrectly, but I'm not working today so I don't care!)

This time of year is when I really start to appreciate Mrs. Bell. She was my yearbook sponsor. We had a wonderful time working on our yearbook pages and somehow, they magically became a beautiful keepsake for all students. Well, let me tell you, there is A LOT of work that goes into yearbooks! I am currently counting Who's Who votes. Remember Who's Who? That activity where you get to vote for Best Dressed, Most Athletic and so on... Counting those votes is no easy task! Especially when some of the 600+ students in your school think that you know who they mean when they put down "Katie" for Class Favorite, nevermind if there are 6 Katies in their grade! Sure would be helpful to have the super power of mind reading at times like these! Then there is the endless quest for pictures. You hate to leave anyone out, but I have found the collection of these priceless items to be hard to come by. Last, but certainly not least, we have to SELL the yearbooks! As kids we didn't care how many others bought one as long as we got ours and had something for people to sign on that glorious day in May. Little did we know that you have to sell a certain amount in order to get them at a good price. Factor in forgetfulness of kids and the economy, WOW! How nice that there was an adult to handle all those details. I just wish I had known that I was going to be the adult handling those details one day!

So as I endeavor to make sure that my kiddos have a yearbook worth keeping up with for the years to come...thank you Mrs. Bell and all the other sponsors who took care of the "details" so we could just enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I remember doing all that work in high school too! The only reason I was on the Yearbook staff was to get out of school that one day to sell ads. It was fun, but we only had a fraction of the people to work with as you do. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete